The best kitchen flooring materials and their features
Before choosing the material for kitchen flooring in your home, you need to discover the characteristics that it should have:
- Water resistance. The kitchen refers to rooms that are systematically exposed to liquids and detergents. In this place, it is often necessary to do a wet cleaning.
- The surface of the floor should be easily cleaned from various contaminants and grease.
- Wear resistance. Floor covering in the kitchen should be resistant to abrasion, and durable.
- Shock resistance.
- Aesthetics, environmental friendliness, and compliance with the style solution of the interior of the kitchen.
Not all materials for kitchen floor installation fully meet the above requirements and we’ll review only the suitable ones.
Cork for kitchen floors
The undeniable advantage of the cork flooring solution is its environmental friendliness. It is quite warm and it is pleasant to walk on it. The cork does not rot, does not swell, easy to clean, it is antistatic, which means that dust is almost not accumulated on it.
To increase the protection of the cork and its life, it is necessary that it be treated with a varnish and wax coating.
Laminate flooring for kitchen
Laminate cannot be called the best option for flooring in the kitchen, but today the market has a new look: the water-resistant one. Also, this is an affordable material. The main advantage of such flooring is the opportunity to equip a warm surface and thereby create a comfortable environment in the room.
Still, the disadvantages of a laminate as a coating are as follows:
- the synthetic nature of the material;
- damage from the ingress of a large amount of water, especially hot water;
- quick accumulating of the dust;
- the falling of a heavy object can damage its surface;
- the use of aggressive detergents can damage the appearance of the floor.
If it’s not easy to make a choice, which floor is best done in the kitchen the advice from professionals consists in combining different materials. For example, in the washing area or dishwasher, floor tiles can be installed, and the rest of the area is covered with waterproof laminate.
Combination of different floor coverings in the kitchen
If it is difficult to decide which floor is the best fit for your kitchen, then you can combine several floor coverings.
This method makes it easier to clean the kitchen since the contamination and high humidity resistant coating will be laid in the work area, but it will always be pleasant to walk at the eating area, where the wooden parquet is installed. The combination of different floor surfaces will provide the kitchen with a cozy and comfortable atmosphere.